At 05:13 PM 2/16/2011, Denis Bogan wrote:

>Marc>  "Remember that full-rocker skis were designed and built for a
>single purpose - *deep* powder. During your average season, how many
>days do you spend on 36" - 60" of new 8% powder?"
>
>Really?  I'd be fascinated to know why would it have to be that deep.

It doesn't have to be that deep - it was just an illustrative
example. The point is that full rockers weren't really designed for
6" days, but that also doesn't mean folks don't ski them in something
other than powder.

>Riding higher to me means that they care less about what lies deeper
>in the snowpack.  IMHO 8" ought to be enough, and that mostly to
>smooth out the ride.

Could be, or not. It depends a lot more on the density than the ski.
Even 18" is not enough to not hit bottom on steep terrain if it's
only 5%, esp. if it's on a crust.

-marc