I often ski alone on these road trips in retirement,and I crave  conversations.
The perfect vehicle, of course, is the chair lift.  I  wait and ask someone if I
can ride with them.  Almost always they  happily agree.  Yesterday I rode with
an 88 yr. old gentleman who wants  to ski until 90.  He had labored speech,
sounding like Diane Rehm, but  was very sharp of mind.  Near the end of the ride
he laughed and  confessed that his wife doesn't mind his skiing but wants him to
give up  his motorcycle.  He has ridden a quarter million miles in all 50 states
since retiring 20 yrs. ago.  I wished him well.