FWIW...my friends would be happy in a tent. Personally, I dislike hostels
and was pushing for a hotel, but my friends were the ones who prefered the
hostel (New Grand or Hume). I didn't make that choice. Last time I stayed in
a hostel (in Banff) I decided I would never do that again. The others pushed
me into the hostel...so spew away all you want...

My friends are FAR from fancy (and same for me...though I do like comfort).