I also travel and ski alone, slumming partners on lifts, trails,
approaches, etc. and the conversations are often quite entertaining
and sometime quite inspirational.

I met such an inspirational skier approaching the gate to Fantasy
Ridge at Solitude; Tom, I think he called himself. Never skis anything
outside of the SLC area but there he was, ripping up some of the
steepest, gnarliest "inbounds" terrain to be found, well into his
70s. Khakis, leather belt and he climbed that ridge with his skis on
his shoulder faster than I with mine strapped to my pack. He seemed
to enjoy hearing only the sound of his uninterrupted inner voice, so
we parted at the line he thought I would enjoy and he continued to
hike off.

Sublime.