Dennis,

Having a full rockered ski allows you to play with turns in a way a traditional ski or rockered tip ski cannot.  You can turn a full rockered ski sideways and shut down or change directions almost instantly, without snagging a tip or tail, going from full speed to stopped or turned in a fraction of the time it would take you with a traditional/rockered tip ski.  You don’t need to engage the tip, get on edge and bring the ski into a turn to decelerate, you just turn it sideways.  It sounds strange, but once you’ve done it, its very liberating.  I have found this to be super important in the east coast trees, being able to  eek out powder runs in trees that were too tight for me to comfortable take traditional skis.  Being able to sneak through tight spots and dump speed or shut down without wrapping a tree is priceless.  They are a quiver ski, you want to have a more traditional ski for days with less powder, and I’d say that includes a rockered tip or some of the hybrid rocker/traditional camber  type skis, but for my experience, if there is powder, I’m going rocker, its just so much more fun.

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Benjamin Bloom
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Rockered skis

In discussing ski style with some other skiers, it has become apparent to me that I like a precise tail. I don't like to wash on turns. It's less important on a powder ski, but that's the reason I'm shying away from a full rocker for east coast.

Out west, get me the longest, phattest, rockered ski you've got. I'd probably kill myself in less than a season, but I'd have fun doing it!

Benjamin D. Bloom
www.benjamindbloom.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/benjamindbloomphoto

Twitter: @benjamindbloom