Alex Wrote>> Unfortunately, they are CHF 1600, which today translates to >$1600. http://www.birdos.com/products/standard_EB.html

They may be worth every CHF, but many ski manufacturers have evolved similar shapes/designs for what we might consider more reasonable prices.  Praxis being one, if someone was interested in looking.

From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alex Friend
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 1:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Rockered skis

I saw an article about this design from Birdos (an outfit in Andermatt run by a Massachusetts native): camber in the middle, rocker at the ends. Unfortunately, they are CHF 1600, which today translates to >$1600. http://www.birdos.com/products/standard_EB.html --Alex On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:01:14 -0500, Andy Dulik wrote: >Dennis, > >Having a full rockered ski allows you to play with turns in a way a >traditional ski or rockered tip ski cannot. You can turn a full rockered >ski sideways and shut down or change directions almost instantly, without >snagging a tip or tail, going from full speed to stopped or turned in a >fraction of the time it would take you with a traditional/rockered tip ski. >You don't need to engage the tip, get on edge and bring the ski into a turn >to decelerate, you just turn it sideways. It sounds strange, but once >you've done it, its very liberating. I have found this to be super >important in the east coast trees, being able to eek out powder runs in >trees that were too tight for me to comfortable take traditional skis. >Being able to sneak through tight spots and dump speed or shut down without >wrapping a tree is priceless. They are a quiver ski, you want to have a >more traditional ski for days with less powder, and I'd say that includes a >rockered tip or some of the hybrid rocker/traditional camber type skis, but >for my experience, if there is powder, I'm going rocker, its just so much >more fun. > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SkiVt-L is brought to you by the University of Vermont.