Thanks Scott!!

Your work is greatly appreciated.

Don't take this the wrong way though when I say: Snowfall in VT may never be
understood.

As you say, we've already matched last season's entire snow total... yet
last year the stake was already at 100" about now, and this year (which was
much less "thawy" than last) we're at 72ish".

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Scott Braaten <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> We dodged a huge bullet today... no liquid precipitation.  It was primarily
> sleet, mixed with snow at times.  1-2" of sand-like snow accumulated and
> skied amazingly well... smooth and since it was dense (yet not wet) it felt
> a lot deeper than 1-2".  My last run down at 3:15pm with Jimmy, Julie, and
> Aaron featured awesome snow (boot deep where its gone untouched all
> weekend)
> and not a hint of a crust.  Just smooth, soft snow.
>
> Both snow plots had greater than 1", less than 2", but because we don't
> report in tenths of an inch, Barnes Camp gets rounded down to 1" (estimated
> at 1.25") and High Road goes in the books as 2" (estimated at 1.75").  Snow
> depths are 31" and 55" respectively.
>
> As we close the books on February... our monthly snowfall at both snow
> plots
> is 50" at 1,500ft and 72" at 3,000ft.  This is probably slightly above
> normal, but nothing outrageous.  I was surprised to find out that BTV set
> its snowiest February on record (120 year record period) with 42.8",
> bumping
> 2008 into second place with 42.3".  Another crazy thing is that in that 120
> year period, at least 4 of the top 10 February's occurred in the past 6
> years.  February has been very good to the North Country lately, while
> those
> March's have been equally awful and snowless.
>
> Since I've got the data in front of me, I might as well add our snowfall
> from the other months (bottom to top of mtn):
> November... 6" and 22"
> December... 44" and 79"
> January... 42" and 73"
> February... 50" and 72"
>
> Total so far... 142" and 246"
>
> Last season's total snowfall at closing date in April was 246" so we
> already
> have picked up the same amount of snowfall as we did all last season.
>
> I'm sort of amazed at how consistent the snowfall has between December,
> January, and February this year.  Each month is only within inches of each
> other.
>
> -Scott

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet
with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."