On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Brian Mohr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Well said Jonny. We need to find a way to make Mean Old Man, and all other
> people who love the woods, allies. Organizationally, backcountry and
> off-piste skiing/riding seems to be on a level mountain biking was at 10+
> years ago. By embracing the evolution of skiing, and with the right
> approach
> to forest management, Vermont stands to benefit from the development of
> backcountry skiing in many positive ways.

I think you may be making an apples to elephants comparison here.

I'd be more prone to characterize the situation as VT MTB is 90 years behind
VT Ski Resort Development, and VT BC Skiing is in another ionosphere as VT
MTBiking.

That's of course *not* to imply that VT BC skiing organization is
necessarily a bad idea though. I'm personally not that gung ho on it. I
think to myself: If we organize into a backcountry skiing alliance with set
cuttings, and set zones, are we not just creating a new ski area?

I don't know. I just have doubts.

> I think it's finally time for a Northeast Backcountry Skier's Alliance...
> There is so much great stuff that could develop out of this. It's exciting
> to see skiing coming back to its roots, too, as it evolves...

Sounds more like devolution. ;)

Or perhaps the dominant trait has swapped places with the recessive...

I do know I like to ski pow though.

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet
with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."