I would agree with your hypothesis about the wind IF this year was a big
year for the west side, and the usually westerlies had not pushed the snow
over to the stake. But it's not. So many west side lines this year are,
frankly, rather bare.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jonny Adler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> RE: stake. I think this has as much to do with how the wind blows as
> anything
> else.  You see it clearly on Mt Washington. One year, something will be
> literally
> a snowless pile of rocks. The next year it is an entire snowfield. Also
> it's how it
> falls...last year we got one gigantic dump that bumped it up really high;
> this
> year has been consistent hits where it has settled between.
>
> Either way the burlington snowfall data and days of snow on the ground is
> almost as telling as the stake in terms of measuring quality of skiing
> around
> here, especially if the BC is what you care about. The other just as
> important
> thing is length of time between thaws.
>
> Regardless of the snow total and stake total, I think this has been a much
> above
> average season for snow quality and top-to-bottom base.  Last year was one
> of
> he worst years I can remember. Even the big dump was bad surface conditions
> by the time the storm was over.

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet
with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."