On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Jonny Adler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The forest service and the GMC are already getting more
> and more concerned with trimming after the Jailhouse Chute debacle.  This
> guy,
> and the GMC, think hiking trails are wonderful things but small ski lines
> are a
> travesty

The GMC has publicly stated the principle of "if you cant hack it, dont hack
it" for a number of years now (since the Jailhouse Chute creation or
thereabouts). I have always considered this to be a ludicrous position that
could only be taken by someone who has never skied in the untrimmed woods of
Vermont before or considers flailing out of control on 3-pins and leather
boots on narrow hiking trails to be backcountry skiing.

The past six or so weeks on the western slopes have made me think however
that the GMC's principle would be almost logical and correct if it actually
snowed at low elevations here as deeply and consistently in a normal winter
as it has since 1/1/11. Unfortunately, the reality is that it doesn't.

Evan