	*Office of the President*

	March 29, 2011

//
From:Daniel Mark Fogel, President

To: University of Vermont Community

Re:*Call For Nominations: Presidential Commissions*

    The University of Vermont is committed to diversity as an
    indispensable component of academic excellence. In November 2004 the
    Board of Trustees adopted (and later, in February 2009, revised) a
    formal statement: "/Diversity---Why Diversity is an Academic and
    Institutional Strategic Priority for the University of Vermont./" In
    that important declaration, the trustees affirmed that "a diverse
    UVM community is a compelling institutional interest that is
    indispensable to achieving our goal of academic excellence. If we
    are unsuccessful, the academic quality of the institution will be
    compromised, we will become less competitive for the best students,
    staff and faculty, and we will find ourselves increasingly isolated
    from the ever more diverse world in which our graduates will live
    and work."

    The University relies on the entire community to support our
    commitment to diversity as an indispensable element of academic
    excellence. The University especially relies on five Presidential
    Commissions, each charged with researching, monitoring, and
    reporting; with identifying major needs and concerns; and with
    making recommendations to the President on policies and programs to
    address those needs and concerns.

    The five commissions are the President's Commission on the Status of
    Women (PCSW), the President's Commission on Racial Diversity (PCRD),
    the President's Commission on Diversity and Inclusion (PCDI), the
    President's Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
    Equity (PCLGBTE), and the President's Commission on Social Change
    (PCSC). Each commission includes faculty, staff, and students who
    work together to pursue the missions that they have been given by
    the President.

    Each year there is a need to replace commissioners who step down.
    Because it is important to keep the Presidential Commissions in
    touch with the broader University community, we are issuing an open
    call for nominations for commission membership. Once the nomination
    deadline has closed, I will consult with the commission chairs and
    appoint new commissioners to fill vacancies for the next academic
    year. Please follow this link to the nomination form
    <http://creator.zoho.com/uvm_presidential_commissions/presidential-commissions-nomination/form-perma/Presidential_Commissions_Nominations/>.
    You may nominate any member of the UVM community, including
    yourself, to serve on any of the commissions. The nomination process
    will end on April 15, 2011.

    If you would like to learn more about the Presidential Commissions,
    please visit this website
    <http://www.uvm.edu/president/?Page=commissions/presidentialcommissions.html&SM=submenu5.html>,
    or contact Kelly Riel, Assistant to the Commissions, at 656-0229, or
    [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.