[log in to unmask]" alt=""> Office of the President

March 29, 2011

From:   Daniel Mark Fogel, President

To:       University of Vermont Community

Re:       Call For Nominations: Presidential Commissions
The University of Vermont is committed to diversity as an indispensable component of academic excellence. In November 2004 the Board of Trustees adopted (and later, in February 2009, revised) a formal statement: “Diversity—Why Diversity is an Academic and Institutional Strategic Priority for the University of Vermont.” In that important declaration, the trustees affirmed that “a diverse UVM community is a compelling institutional interest that is indispensable to achieving our goal of academic excellence. If we are unsuccessful, the academic quality of the institution will be compromised, we will become less competitive for the best students, staff and faculty, and we will find ourselves increasingly isolated from the ever more diverse world in which our graduates will live and work.”

The University relies on the entire community to support our commitment to diversity as an indispensable element of academic excellence. The University especially relies on five Presidential Commissions, each charged with researching, monitoring, and reporting; with identifying major needs and concerns; and with making recommendations to the President on policies and programs to address those needs and concerns.

The five commissions are the President’s Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW), the President’s Commission on Racial Diversity (PCRD), the President’s Commission on Diversity and Inclusion (PCDI), the President’s Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Equity (PCLGBTE), and the President’s Commission on Social Change (PCSC). Each commission includes faculty, staff, and students who work together to pursue the missions that they have been given by the President.

Each year there is a need to replace commissioners who step down. Because it is important to keep the Presidential Commissions in touch with the broader University community, we are issuing an open call for nominations for commission membership. Once the nomination deadline has closed, I will consult with the commission chairs and appoint new commissioners to fill vacancies for the next academic year. Please follow this link to the nomination form. You may nominate any member of the UVM community, including yourself, to serve on any of the commissions. The nomination process will end on April 15, 2011.

If you would like to learn more about the Presidential Commissions, please visit this website, or contact Kelly Riel, Assistant to the Commissions, at 656-0229, or [log in to unmask].