Office of the President

March 17, 2011

From:   Daniel Mark Fogel, President
            Jane Knodell, Provost

To:       The UVM Community

Re:       FY 2012 Budget Update - Clarification

On Tuesday, March 15, we sent out a memo to all faculty and staff regarding the FY 2012 budget. In that letter, we identified several broad strategic decisions to address our FY 2012 budget challenges. Among those administrative decisions that will form our recommendations to the Board of Trustees was to "Budget for 0% salary increases for all employees for FY 2012" as well as certain decisions regarding benefits.

We wish to correct the record and make clear that the University has on-going collective bargaining obligations with the United Academics, United Electric Workers and Teamsters for the full time faculty and staff bargaining units that they represent. The three contracts for those units expire at the end of this fiscal year and thus we will be negotiating compensation and other matters for FY 2012 with those unions.   No final decisions on compensations for those units have been made at this time.

In addition, we also want to note that part time faculty represented by the UA are in the middle of their multi-year collective bargaining agreement and already have a negotiated raise for FY 2012.  Thus, such part time faculty will be receiving a salary increase based on the terms of that contract.

We apologize for any confusion caused by our Tuesday memo.

--
Daniel Mark Fogel, President
University of Vermont

UVM is subject to the Vermont Public Records Act and communications to and from this email address, including attachments,
are subject to disclosure unless exempted under the Act or otherwise applicable law.