An adult male Northern Goshawk flew into my yard this morning and perched
fairly high in a tree.  All the feeder birds quickly dispersed, but a gray
squirrel, who had been feasting at a feeder, clung to the side of the wooden
pole that the feeder is mounted on, head downward, on the opposite side of
the pole from the hawk.  After nearly 10 minutes motionless in that upside
down position, the squirrel surprisingly climbed up the pole and sat on the
top, in plain view of the hawk.  By this time a few chickadees (always the
brave ones) had returned.  The goshawk then flew back to the woods without
an attack.

I also had a large flock of about 30 Common Grackles, my first of the
season, with a dozen Red-winged Blackbirds mixed in.

Ken Copenhaver
Fairfax VT