I was at the Champlain Bridge site today midday.  Numbers of Common
Mergansers is obviously down from greater numbers recently, other
species numbers are up and down almost by the hour it seems.  My count
of the Mergansers was done with care twice.  I wonder if the American
Wigeon, who has been overwintering at the site since January, has moved
on with one or more of the recently arrived Wigeons ... none of whom
have been seen the last couple of days.

It appears that Sue Wetmore arrived just after I left.  Janet Nelson
joined me for a while.

Roy Pilcher and I have been conversing about the possible Barrow's
Goldeneye female that is constant company of the male.  Thanks to a good
silhouette in a picture taken by Roy we are now reasonably well
convinced that it is indeed a Barrow's.

I had occasion, while giving a flight lesson, to overfly the location on
Sunday.  From that perspective the vast majority of the birds are
clearly on the Vermont side of the lake .... It is difficult to judge
the location of the state line when viewing from Route 125.

My list is below.

Ian

Location:     Champlain Bridge
Observation date:     3/16/11
Notes:     Janet Nelson joined me for a while.
Number of species:     19

Canada Goose     11
Wood Duck     2
American Black Duck     21