Hi all,

I would have posted this earlier but I needed a few other opinions from a
couple of birding friends of mine first. I had a Hoary Redpoll on a tree in my
back yard that my bird feeder hangs from. I saw it on Tuesday, March 1st
(10:45 a.m.). I was able to get a few half decent photos of it. I was pretty
sure that it was a Hoary but being that I had previously never seen one and
with all of the chat online about how difficult it is to ID one, I solicited a few
opinions. . .  One of them like me agreed that it was indeed a Hoary. The
other one thought that it looked good to call it a Hoary but mentioned that it
would have been nice to see the back of this bird and its' rump. I agree with
both of them and unfortunately I was not able to get a look at the back of
this bird. There are some key field marks on this bird that helps to ID it as a
Hoary (all of these were pointed out to me by the the second person); Limited
pink on breast, light streaking on its' sides, sort of a "pushed in face", limited
black coloring around the base of the bill, and the undertail coverts appear to
be unstreaked. Thank you to both of my birding friends for your opinions.
I am going to send two photos to Bryan Pfeiffer so that he can post them
onto his website.

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead