From: Laurence Clarfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Goose neck bands
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, March 21, 2011, 11:18 AM

Hi Bruce,

I encountered a number of geese sporting neck bands over the weekend,
including a few Canada Geese with orange bands and Snow Geese with yellow
bands.  I submitted these observations to the federal Bird Banding
Laboratory (http://www.reportband.gov/) and got the following response
suggesting it may not always be possible to track down the origins of the
bird and the bander:

"As you probably know, these markers are used by researchers to address many
questions regarding bird movements and other aspects of their life history.
They enable researchers to track movements of individual banded birds
without the need to recapture them. The banding and color marking of birds
is conducted by a variety of researchers, some with State, Federal, NGO, or
university affiliations. Our office authorizes these projects, but is not
directly involved in them.

We receive thousands of these reports each year and attempt to respond to
the sighters with information on each. However, due to various reasons, we
are often not able to. Each bird with a color marker is also wearing a metal
Federal leg band, which bears the 9-digit number that is the code by which
we ultimately store our data..."

The automated response went on about the various reasons they aren't always
able to track down specific info on each sighting, but I should know for
sure in a few weeks.  Here are some photos of a few of the banded geese I
encountered:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27953043@N08/5543993634/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27953043@N08/5541788534/

Good birding,