My experience is decidedly not a scientific study—I don't think anyone who knows me would be surprised if I was some sort of bizarre outlier in the data set—but skiing hard on a tele setup puts a lot less stress on my knees as judged by how they feel the following evening / day after, when compared to skiing with a fixed-heel setup.  Interestingly enough, I found that even skiing bumps paramark didn't seem to have the same level of impact on my knees and back that skiing them on alpine gear does.  My quads end up a lot more tired, but I'd rather have tired muscles than sore joints.

YMMV, of course.

On 29 Mar 2011, at 7:15 PM, S H wrote:

> The reason why alpine is out is because having the heel locked down puts
> stress on the back of the knee. keeping my knees bent and having my heels
> free will keep me from aggravating what is already inflammed. Been
> stretching my quads.
>
> Still want to get teleboots, whether I can ski this season or not.
>
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> If your patella isn't tracking right, perhaps the best thing you can do is
>> stretch your quads.  Tele skiing is worse for that problem that alpining.
>> If you're going to ski, stick to alpine.  (I'm going to assume that you're a
>> much stronger alpine skier then tele'er.)  I'd also ask your ortho why,
>> specifically, alpining is out.  You're not going to injure the meniscus any
>> further unless you fall the wrong way.
>>
>> --Matt K.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Sharon Lives <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Mondo 24 or 24.5 (ladies 8.5 or men's 7), 4 buckle is preferred but will
>>> consider the 3 buckle if it is the right price.
>>>
>>> I need to free my heel to take pressure off the back of my knee which I
>>> injured this winter hooking a limb that was submerged in the powder. I did
>>> this
>>> once in the Adks and then again in BC. PT thinks I may have a meniscus
>>> tear.
>>> Ortho is uncertain and says ligaments seem really strong, but something is
>>> affecting the muscles in my legs and causing inflammation behind both of
>>> my
>>> knees. Xray showed nothing wrong except that my patellas are not tracking
>>> right (this could also be part of the problem). MRI will be done tmrw and
>>> I will
>>> know better next week.
>>>
>>> Doc says no alpine skiing, but nordic is ok. No more off-piste. I'll be
>>> skiing like
>>> an intermediate skier for the rest of the season, hopefully on teles, if I
>>> can
>>> find the right boots. I just can't spend $500 right now, so I'm hoping to
>>> find
>>> something used. Scarpas hurt, my feet are too wide for them.

Kevin T. Broderick