Before saying something about the book's content let me note that in an
e-mail exchange  on the book Ted Morgan said that the"failed" in the
sub-title was imposed by the publisher, and was not his choice. The book
is clear that the "mass media" pretty much knew what they were doing and
far from "failing" succeeded all to well.

Ted's book is not just another book on the '60s but a documented account
of how we got from there to where we are now, giving a pretty detailed
account of what he calls the "corporate backlash, which was well
underway at least from the Goldwater campaign on. He also places the
events of the '60s in u.s. political history from 1945 on. Even those of
us who were "there" will learn much from the book. In this
"post-Wisconsin" era I think those who are interested in changing the
world and not merely kibitzing from the sidelines owe it to themselves
to read this book. I will try to write more on it from time to time. I
had it read to me (at $22 an hour) and think it worth the price.

Carrol