I think there is another perspective on this which, if taken seriously,
makes these questions irrelevant. That perspective, in a word, is
Wisconsin. Now I tend to be fundamentally pessimistic, but there are
times when the optimism of the will reduces the pessimism of the
intellect to an irrelevancy. There has been a change in the political
atmosphere: it may fizzle out; this long interim of left irrelevancy may
have longer to go. But perhaps not; perhaps the change is real and a
fuse has been lit. My personal slogan in such a context is, Defeats are
defeats, we live with them. But when we are successful _and not prepared
to build on that success,THAT is unacceptable. The complex of events and
sort of success that must be built on. And so the question of mass
organization comes to the fore, subordinating the questions Michael
asks here.

And from that perspective, from the perspective of local organizing, I
do not think there is or should be any real debate. We condemn the U.S.
murder of Bin Laden. We put that in statements by whatever local
organization we have. We put it in letters to the editor. We proclaim it
on every opportunity. We urge our members to urge their friends to see
the world through this outrageous murder. We compare it to - no we
identify it with, the murder of Diem & Lumumba, the kidnapping of
Noriega, the hanging of Sadaam, the overthrow of Mossedegh. We engage
those who respond in conversation of what it means for a state to engage
as a standard practice the assassination of heads of states or of any
person who is an annoyance.

This is not difficult. Organizing consist in first reaching those who
already agree with us - those who honk their horns as they pass by our
monthly demo. We incorporate them and move them to see the need for
popular action. We look at the Bin Laden murder strictly from this point
of view. IF our movement grows, if more and more people come to agree
with LBJ that if you want to understand US policies abroad, look at US
policies at home: Bingo! Already the  Bin Laden murder is linked to, is
part of the same pattern as, the Austerity Drive against which Wisconsin
revolted.

O.K. This leads in innumerable directions which can only be sorted out
through democratic discussion within movement groups, at teach-ins, at
rallies. Neither one person nor a few can work out what is to be done -
beyond the necessity of reaching and enlarging that core which can begin
the necessary discussion. That will bring us back to some of the matters
Michael discusses. The masses and not merely intellectuals do, once
ignited, want to know.

Let us begin. Each in his/her place.

Carrol

Stuart, et al., [clip]