If the human genome project is helping to prove that genes are not as
important as many had argued, then it has done a great service: Providing
scientific evidence against genetic determinism.

As Dick Levins put it here recently (I'm paraphrasing), the results of the
project have disproved the assumptions on which it was based. But we
wouldn't be able to to make that statement nearly as effectively had the
project not gone forward. Meanwhile all kinds of other good things are
coming out of it, including in my own pet subject area, our understanding of
human evolution.

MB

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/17/human-genome-gen
> etics-twin-studies/print
>
> The failure of the genome
> If inherited genes are not to blame for our most common illnesses, how can
> we find out what is?
>
> *                Jonathan Latham*
>                 guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 April 2011
>
>         Since the* human genome* was sequenced, over 10 years ago, hardly
> a week has gone by without some new genetic "breakthrough" being reported.
> Last week five new "*genes for Alzheimer's disease*" generated sometimes
> front-page coverage across the globe.  But take a closer look and the
> reality is very different.
>      Among all the genetic findings for common illnesses, such as heart
> disease, cancer and mental illnesses, only a handful are of genuine
> significance for human health.   Faulty genes rarely cause, or even mildly
> predispose us, to disease, and as a consequence the science of human
> genetics is in deep crisis.
>       The human genome sequencing project was based on a huge, but
> calculated, gamble.  The then leaders-to-be of the project believed that
> faulty genes inherited from our parents were probably the cause of most
> disease.  After all, many rarer diseases were already known to be genetic.
> So it seemed a small leap to suppose that inherited faulty genes would
> underlie common diseases, too.
> There was, however, a problem with the basis for their confidence.  The
> best scientific evidence in humans for genes as causes of common disease was
> based on comparing disease rates in genetically identical twins against
> rates in non-identical twins (who share 50% of their DNA).  These
> comparisons, called* heritability studies*, aimed to measure the relative
> contributions of genetic variation versus environmental variation.
>         Although extremely widely used and cited, these studies were
> considered worthless by some geneticists. * Richard Lewontin* of Harvard
> University, for instance, called in 1974 "for an end to the measurement of
> useless quantities".  Other critics pointed out that these experiments
> relied on the proposition that identical twins experienced no more identical
> environments than did non-identical twins, when it was abundantly clear that
> parents were treating their identical offspring more similarly than their
> non-identical twins.  These arguments constituted a threat to the genome
> project. Ultimately they were swept aside and all but forgotten.
>      In 2009, one of the few remaining scientifically active leaders of the
> original genome project, Francis Collins, published a review paper in the
> scientific journal Nature, along with 26 other prominent geneticists.  It
> was titled* Finding the Missing Heritability of Complex Diseases*.  In it,
> the authors acknowledged that, despite more than 700 genome-scanning
> publications and nearly $100bn spent, geneticists still had not found more
> than a fractional genetic basis for human disease.
> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor
have no food, they call me a Communist." -- Hélder Pessoa Câmara