As often happens, David misunderstands my point.

I think there is plenty of evidence that Bin Laden is responsible for the
murder of thousands, thus I give the killing of him a lower priority.

I consider the targeted assasinations of Hamas leaders a much more serious
matter for the left, because the struggle against Israeli occupation of the
West Bank and the siege of Gaza are outrages and opposition to them,
peacefully or violently, are fully justified. Although I don't agree with
everything that Hamas says and does, they are part of that struggle and so I
take their side in it.

Can I be any more clear?

MB

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM, David Westman <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Given that the grounds for prosecution of Israeli governments for their
> targeted assassinations of
> Palestinian leaders are as strong as the grounds for prosecuting Obama for
> the assassination of
> Osama bin Laden, does Mr. Balter wish to give the Israeli government a pass
> for their killings
> just as he wants to give Obama a pass for his killings?   (not just bin
> Laden, but the thousands
> of Iraqi and Afghan civilians who have died since Jan. '09 when he took
> office)?  And does he
> also want to give Obama a pass for not prosecuting Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld,
> and their other
> henchmen for the killings that they presided over, not to speak of his
> eagerness about keeping
> Defense Secretary Gates around even though his hands are as bloody as the
> rest of them?
> Just because we presently have no means to prosecute these war criminals
> for their continual
> crimes against the laws of civilized society, does that mean we should shut
> our mouths about
> these atrocities and move on to more important things?   I suggest that
> this implies an eagerness
> to wear blinders about the crimes of the imperialist government under which
> we live.
>
> David Westman
>

> On 5/17/2011 3:08 PM, Chandler Davis wrote:
>
>> Israel's targeted assassinations are much discussed.  Israeli
>> top officials such as Tzipi Livni face prosecution in some
>> countries (including South Africa) for overseeing the program,
>> and restrict their foreign travel accordingly.  The Center for
>> Constitutional Rights is bringing suit to get an injunction
>> by US courts stopping the order to the US military to
>> assassinate Anwar al-Awlaki.  The argument being made would
>> support indicting Barack Obama for the assassination of Osama
>> bin Laden, and such an indictment would be possible under
>> international law.  Don't hold your breath.  As Michael says,
>> grounds for such actions against Israeli governments are as
>> strong as against USA.  Among many references, Google led me
>> to <http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131569&page=1>.
>>            Chandler
>>

>> On Mon, 16 May 2011, Michael Balter wrote:
>>
>>  I have no argument that this is correct from a legal standpoint.
>>>
>>> But as this discussion goes on, I increasingly wonder why there has been
>>> no
>>> discussion on this list (nor much of anywhere else that I have seen)
>>> about
>>> Israeli's targeted assasination of Hamas leaders, which has been going on
>>> for years?
>>>
>>> Leftists do pick their battles, every day, and that is one that I find
>>> much
>>> more compelling from the point of view of fighting for justice in the
>>> world.
> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith