Yes. And how about some labor unions that are not simply increasing the
income and security of their members at the expense of others in the same
workplaces?

I think of my university's hypocritical faculty in the Idaho Federation of
Teachers, affiliated with the AFL-CIO.  For years the tenured faculty (some
of whom have not published in years, or in any peer-reviewed journal, or
even taught many classes by way of balancing that lack of research) have
enlarged their salaries, benefits, and other aspects of power at the expense
of their grad students and other academic colleagues, hired as adjuncts and
paid little more than minimum wage. If that much.

It is very, very hard for me to respect unions when I see their members
simply using the union's power to practice economic and social warfare
against others in their own workplace.  When did the faculty of my
university ever stand up for the cleaning staff, who got their hours cut,
their workload increased, and their salaries held without raises for years?
They didn't.  Professors of 20 years or more are suddenly rushing to
re-brand themselves as experts in "sustainability" (this, in the US, from
people who've spent their lives so far spending money ignoring the
environment and the poor).  Ok fine, maybe they finally saw the light. But
are these profs who suddenly love sustainability - or at least the new
research grants - including amongst their yammering any call to end the
university's purchase of cleaning compounds and practices that can harm the
cleaning workers as well as the environment?  Nope!   Nor do these union
members stand up for office staff when they get cut back or crushed into
substandard office spaces or job practices.

And let's not even begin to discuss their complete abrogation of any
intelligent, practical, caring and conscientious duty to point out that
infinite expansion of class sizes, degree requirements, and tuition costs is
not only logically perverse, it is complacent - often even eager -
participation in the giant ponzi scheme that rules U.S. higher ed today.
There is no show of solidarity from this union with their students - or with
the many people in the world who want but can't afford educations. There's
no solidarity with the contract faculty and TA's and post-docs whose labor
they abuse. Nor with the many staff who keep their offices clean, their new
buildings groomed, and their paychecks rolling in.

The only people I see the college profs' union protesting are those above
them.  The outrageous salaries and lavish travel budgets and big fancy
offices of the president and administrators -- now THAT, they are against.

Hmmm.  It appears to me that this union has little to do with justice and
much to do with money. Yes, I've attended many of their meetings, so I've
seen what they obsess over both there as well as in their formal actions.
What I see from this is that it is simply a prep school for the economic and
social elitism of the adminstration. It is the junior branch of power, as it
were, ignoring and despising all those below them in their constant,
clamorous efforts to move themselves ever upward into the bloated ranks of
the bureaucracy.

I don't know much about other unions - although over the course of my early
career, I was an underpaid laborer in several other fields in which unions
fought for the greater wealth of their members while refusing to consider
how this was achieved by bringing in ever more "temps" and field hands.  And
of course there's the long, long history of the "blue" being anti-green.
What is that but buying into privilege? Conceding that it's not about
achieving fairness and consideration for all, but simply the illusion of it
for some, at the expense of all who have less power?

What I see from my personal experience, then, is that the concepts of unions
and labor rights seem to have gone wildly astray in the U.S. Instead of
protecting ALL, which is the only freedom and protection that logically can
succeed, they were seduced by the visions of infinitely increasing
capitalist wealth into working to secure improvements only for some, and at
the conspicuous expense of others.  American unions do seem very capitalist
in their traditional obsession with wealth and power, patriarchal and racist
structures, and disregard for our planetary home and all its other
denizens.  Salt of the Earth is my favorite union film ever - because of its
demonstration of some of these unresolved problems, and the way others can
be followed "off the screen" (HUAC, Environment, the West as "colonized"
land, imperialism, and consideration of indigenous and precursor peoples).

So I'm not sure unions have got any more political integrity than the U.S.
parties themselves.

I'd like a working people's party - or rather, a party of working people and
the working planet, which needs consideration too!  But I think unions would
have to produce some very new "mission and vision" statements - or a
shamefaced return to the originals - before they will regain any traction
with me, or many who have seen them simply be about new lines of power
rather than its end.

Claudia

--
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a
revolution.  -- Paul Cezanne