Here is a story one of my NYU journalism students did last fall on this
subject, it might provide some brief background on the debate:

http://scienceline.org/2011/01/the-world-through-language/

<http://scienceline.org/2011/01/the-world-through-language/>MB

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Kamran Nayeri <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I wonder how people on this list think about this implication of research
> that show how languages shape our thinking.  Would this make a case for
> cultural relativism?
>
> Here is that Scientific American<http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2011/05/352-how-languages-shape-thought.html>article by Lera Boroditsky--the latest on this topic I read.
>
> Kamran

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith