Here is a story one of my NYU journalism students did last fall on this subject, it might provide some brief background on the debate:

http://scienceline.org/2011/01/the-world-through-language/

MB

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Kamran Nayeri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I wonder how people on this list think about this implication of research that show how languages shape our thinking.  Would this make a case for cultural relativism?

Here is that Scientific American article by Lera Boroditsky--the latest on this topic I read.

Kamran

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith