Well, people on this list seem to all be certain that Gaddafi has been "slaughtering his own people".  But from other lists and newsletters, I've seen different views.  I haven't researched all that extensively, but thought I'd share what I compiled so far, some of which suggest disinformation campaign by Libyan "rebels" supported by CIA.  If you have good info that shows convincingly that indeed Gaddafi has been "slaughtering his own people", I'm interested in seeing.

Maggie

Boston Globe: False pretense for war in Libya?

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2011/04/14/false_pretense_for_war_in_libya/

For more detailed look at the financial interests, see "'Libyan Rebels' Create Central bank, Oil Company" by Alex Newman

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=24308

Human Rights Watch: No mercenaries in eastern Libya

http://www.rnw.nl/africa/article/hrw-no-mercenaries-eastern-libya-0

short video: Retweeting "democracy": how the US uses Twitter and Facebook to fabricate the news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1SCCTsB4D8&NR=1

US orchestrates regime change in Libya, using social media

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vGoXaLHxs&feature=player_embedded

(says YouTube was blocked in Libya since Oct 2010, so how could Libyans upload YouTube videos to the internet, showing Gaddafi’s brutalities, etc. Also, hundreds of thousands of Twitter accounts suddenly sprung up in Feb 2011, all in English, all using practically the same logo, the Libyan flag – or was it the flag of the old Libyan monarch? – while prior to this the total number of Twitter accounts were very small.  These Twitter accounts were linked to Facebook and YouTube accounts, pouring out thousands of videos of massacres and bloodshed, and the video said many of these were confirmed never to have occurred. Also, said that Gaddafi requested from the UN a truth-finding mission, but was declined.)

the truth in Libya: who is lying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw59SPy26gs&NR=1

(Russia's RT reporter says the so called rebels in northeastern Libya are mostly al-Qaida members, it has 1/5th of the world’s al-Qaida.  Also includes parts of an interview with Louis Farrakhan, leader of the Chicago, Illinois-based Nation of Islam (NOI).)

Africa: The Lies Behind the West's War on Libya

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201104150792.html

(Good background of Libya on a larger Africa-wide stage, and suggests real reasons for the West's attack of Libya.  The US$30 billion frozen by Mr Obama belong to the Libyan Central Bank that were earmarked for three key projects which would add the finishing touches to the African federation – the African Investment Bank, the African Monetary Fund and the African Central Bank - that would put Africa on its way to its financial (and therefore political) independence.)

(2 min video from Democracy Now!): 4 Star US General reveals 2001 plan of 7-country invasion, including Libya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjF3ACwXwTI

But “the Plan” formed even earlier than 2001, at the time of the first Gulf War, as General Clarke revealed in another seminar (start watching from chapter 6 in this link):

http://fora.tv/2007/10/03/Wesley_Clark_A_Time_to_Lead#fullprogram

Hidden behind propaganda a giant crime against Libya is fact

http://nocheinparteibuch.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/hidden-behind-propaganda-a-giant-crime-against-libya-is-fact-part-i/

(Chronological dissection of events in Libya, esp. analyzing internet video evidence of Gaddafi's 'crimes'.  Mentions cluster bombs.)

Article by Susan Lindauer, former U.S. Intelligence Asset covering Libya and Iraq at the United Nations:

http://theintelhub.com/2011/04/12/putting-out-fire-with-gasoline-in-libya/

(From Richard Krushnic:) "I am reading Lindauer's book, Extreme Prejudice: the Terrifying Story of the Patriot Act and the Cover Ups of 9/11 and Iraq, in which she recounts her experience as a CIA asset (not a CIA employee, but a CIA contractor).  A chunk of the book is about the Lockerbie airliner bombing, which resulted in the economic blockade of Libya, which finally got the Libyan government to back down, pay damages to Lockerbie families, end its nuclear weapons probram and allow multinational oil firms back into the country on favorable terms.  She was personally involved in the Lockerbie affair and argues that the Libyan government had nothing to do with the bombing.  The Libyan regime was forced to falsly say that it was behind the bombing and forced to pay damages, as part of the price for ending the blockade.  According to the author/CIA asset, this was done to brand Gadaffi as a bad guy--useful at a later date when the time is right to take the regime down.  I am not vouching for the truth of Lindzuer's statements in her book, just calling this to your attention."

Article by Cynthia McKinney, US Green Party's 2008 presidential candidate:

http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/why-obama-attacked-libya

Gaddafi's speech Oct 2009 at the UN general assembly:

http://www.mathaba.net/news/?x=626459

(I read through about 1/3rd of this long speech, and gained a lot of respect for Gaddafi - he's not mumbling nonsense at all like the western media portrays him. He makes plain sense on the fundamental injustices of current UN structure, security council, and veto power, etc.)

Libya rebels' CIA ties:

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/middle-east--north-africa/425-libya-and-britains-gift-of-war-and-racism

If NATO is using depleted uranium in Libya, what a strange way to protect civilians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti7DbS9WLIE&feature=related

(Russia's RT interview with Conn Hallinan, Columnist, Foreign Policy in Focus)

Boat of 600 Libyans sinks after NATO 'ignores SOS calls'

Former Belgium MP Lode Vanoost: "Humanitarian concerns are not on the agenda of NATO."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PssKFiesNyo&feature=share

Nato units left 61 African migrants to die of hunger and thirst

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/08/nato-ship-libyan-migrants

Opposing view (supporting justification of humanitarian intervention):

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/alan-j-kuperman-useful-idiot/

Qaddafi Troops Fire Cluster Bombs Into Civilian Areas

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/16/world/africa/16libya.html?_r=1