This does look interesting, although it's ironic that those calling for a
second look at the Luddites are doing so by Facebook, email, and a Web site.
:-)

MB

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Alex Dajkovic <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> A critical look at the Luddite Uprisings might be informative for many of
> today's promises of techno-scientific salvation.
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *"David King" <[log in to unmask]>
> *Date: *May 29, 2011 3:56:47 PM GMT+02:00
> *To: *"David King" <[log in to unmask]>
> *Subject: **Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Luddite Uprisings:
> Technology Politics Then and Now*
> *
> *
>
> *Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Luddite Uprisings: Technology
> Politics Then and Now*
>

> Date: Wednesday June 8th, 7pm
> Venue: Feminist Library meeting room, 5a Westminster Bridge Road, London
> SE1 7XW, Nearest tube Lambeth North,
> http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154817494584557
> Organised by: Luddites200 Organising Forum [log in to unmask]
> www.luddites200.org.uk
> No admission charge, donations welcome.  Please contact organisers about
> disabled access.
>

> In 1811-12 artisan cloth workers in the Midlands and North of England rose
> up against factory owners who were imposing new machines and putting them
> out of work.  Since the 1950s the Luddites have been painted as fools
> opposed to all technology and progress, but in fact the Luddites were very
> selective in their attacks, breaking only machines they thought were
> 'hurtful to Commonality'.
>
> What can the Luddites teach us about the ongoing use of technology to
> replace workers’ jobs, as well as issues like GM food, nuclear power,
> reproductive technology and surveillance?  Can we escape the myth that
> technology always brings progress?  On the anniversary of the first action
> against a GM crop site in Britain, come and discuss the issues with speakers
> from the Luddites200 Organising Forum, Stop GM, a trade union activist, and
> the Stop Nuclear Network.
>

> PLUS! Luddite entertainment and CAKE

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith