When I first started at this hospital almost 10 years ago, I was salary
clock in versus salary not clock in.  So even though I was salary, I had
to clock in every time I came and went because I was not a manager of
people.

About 5 or 6 years ago, they made all salary people not clock in.
Although I'm salary and don't clock in, I believe my salary is figured
on an hourly wage.  When I get market value increases they express the
increase as an hourly figure.

Nicole

Keeping You Updated On The Latest Information & Technology

Nicole Pouget BS, MS, MLS
Medical Librarian
Physician & Staff Health Science Library
Wyoming Medical Center
1233 East 2nd Street
Casper, WY  82601

Phone:  307-577-2450
Fax:   307-577-7858
Email:   [log in to unmask]

The whole idea of a library is based on a misunderstanding: that a
reader goes to the library to find a book whose title he knows . The
essential function of a library is to discover books of whose existence
the reader has no idea.
Umberto Eco
>>> "Gilly, Nancy" <[log in to unmask]> 5/4/2011 8:24 AM >>>
This sort of thing would be so very helpful. Right now, even though I
am
a solo librarian, in charge of a unit which has its own box on the
organizational chart, with it's own budget line which I have sole
control over, and even though I work in Connecticut, whose state
medical
society has adopted the MLA standards as part of the CME
accreditation,
I have to deal with an HR department who have told me "You are not a
department head and you never will be".  (Note the personalization of
this.) They recently changed my position from salary to hourly, even
though there have been no changes in duties. I was told that since I
don't supervise anyone I should never have been salaried. (And they
assure me that's how other hospitals with solo librarians do it.)
However they had their FLSA person go over my job description six or
seven years ago, and he made it a salaried position because it is
professional.  I've been here 10 years, but I'd make more money as an
entry level school librarian.  And they wonder why I'm not as
enthusiastic as I might be....

Nancy E. M. Gilly, MA, MLS
Medical Librarian
Medical/Nursing Library
William W. Backus Hospital
326 Washington Street
Norwich, CT  06360
860-823-6327
Fax: 860-892-2704

Subject: Re: [MEDLIB-L] Librarian salaries

Hi all

I sent this out to Patti yesterday - it is the link to the ALIA salary
scales webpage:
http://www.alia.org.au/employment/salary.scales/roles.and.pay.html

Perhaps you should all collaborate to draw up a similar scale for
degree
of
responsibility, send it to MLA president & committee and get MLA to
ratify
it and ask them to put it on their website as ALIA do. Then perhaps
get
the
AMA, hospital associations etc to ratify it and then - who knows?

If that doesn't work, run for MLA office and start a committee and set
up
your own salary scales enquiry and then make a scale, then etc etc I
get
the
impression that there needs to be a national salary scale enquiry at
the
very least - maybe work with a national industrial relations group??

Good luck!!

Catherine Voutier
Clinical Librarian
Melbourne Health

email: [log in to unmask]
Personal Data - Privacy Act of 1974 (PL 93-579)
This transmission is intended to be confidential to the individual(s)
and/ or
entity to whom addressed. It may contain information of a privileged
and/or
confidential nature, which may be subject to protection under the
Privacy Act
of 1974 and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA)
of 1996. In the event you are not the intended recipient or the agent
of the
intended recipient, or you are unable to deliver this communication to
the
intended recipient, do not read, copy, or use this information
contained
within this transmission, or allow it to be read, copied or utilized in

any manner, by any other person(s).  Should this transmission be
received
in error or there is a problem with the transmission, please notify the

above named sender immediately at the telephone number provided.

The William W. Backus Hospital
326 Washington St
Norwich, CT 06360
860-889-8331