No.  There is absolutely no reason to carry a gun while hiking in the
Northeast.  That's not to say that I've not people who do--on the Adam's
Apple of all places--but they're only carrying out of ignorance and
insecurity.

To put it in perspective, black bears became a problem in the Eastern High
Peaks of the Adirondacks, so much so that bear canisters are now required
for overnight trips in the Eastern High Peaks, but I have yet to hear of
anyone ever being harmed by a black bear, in spite of tents being clawed and
many a meal stolen.

--Matt