HI Greg,

How old is the PC?  On some of the 5 yr old systems, we ended up moving
the communications board from a slot on the daughter board to one on the
main part of the Dell motherboard.  I think Gilles mentioned here
problems with PC power supplies getting weak over time and causing
problems (same issues, slightly different remedies).  We also had a
flaky motherboard once too.

Didn't have your exact problems--but general and intermittent weirdness...

You may also have a corrupted registry--which re-installing rewrites for
you.

Good luck,

take care...

gerry