Perhaps I misunderstand your post, but from your description it sounds
like your samples and standards might differ greatly in chemical
composition (i.e., O2, H2O, Ar, etc.). If so, they would undergo
significantly fractionations in the source, and might be subject to
different sorts of isobaric interferences. Have you made measurements
in which both sample and standard are purified N2?

John