Michael,

    Make sure you look at your school's library catalog system as well and see if this will meet some of your needs.  This is the solution we are using for tracking loaned and checked out equipment at a few ACSU schools.  We do maintain separate spreadsheets for inventory and warranty purposes but the loaning functionality is handled through our library catalog.

   - Josh