Pat's made some interesting observations on Hooded Mergansers. Here are a
few ideas that relate to her questions. Besides tending to their own nests,
Hooded Mergansers commonly lay eggs in the nests of other cavity-nesting
ducks, including Wood Ducks as well as other Hooded Mergansers. (Wood Ducks
also return the favor.) You can think of it as a bet-hedging strategy -
literally, don't put all your eggs in a single basket (nest). If something
happens to your nest, maybe a few young will survive from another nest. So
it's possible that the young mergansers with no parent actually hatched in
someone else's nest, such as a Wood Duck. Or perhaps the mother was killed
after the young hatched. Both of these possibilities seem more likely than
the mother abandoning the young at a very early stage.

While Hoodies usually nest right near a pond, suitable cavities aren't
always available so females sometimes have to nest away from water. In that
case, the mother will lead the ducklings to water after they hatch -
distances of more than a kilometer have been recorded. So the 1/8 of a mile
between neighbors' ponds seems pretty reasonable for a duckling to travel,
even if they seem ungainly out of the water.

Survival of ducklings is pretty low, even with the protection of the female.
(The fact that females commonly lay 9 or 10 eggs each year gives an idea of
how risky it is for ducklings.) However, young can feed themselves, and
presumably the older and larger they get, the better their chances of making
it are. I suspect that from an evolutionary standpoint, females wouldn't
invest the energy required to lay eggs in the nests of other duck species if
their young had no chance of making it on their own. So the duckling still
may have a chance!

  -- Scott Schwenk
     South Burlington