Kent McFarland, John Lloyd and I ventured up to the Mansfield ridgeline
late last night, hoping the diminished winds and clearing skies forecast
for this morning would prevail and allow us to get in our first
mist-netting session for 2011.  We awoke at the Octagon at dawn to winds
still howling and the ridgeline bathed in clouds, temperature hovering
at 35F.  Not what we hoped, but we managed to find a few sheltered spots
and put up 10 nets.  Avian activity was low, to say the least.  We
caught 5 birds total, including 2 Bicknell's Thrushes, and heard the
following:

Common Raven 1
Winter Wren 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Bicknell's Thrush 7
American Robin 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 5
Blackpoll Warbler 8
White-throated Sparrow 6

No red squirrels up there, but that won't be the case a year from now,
as a banner crop of fir cones is on the way.  Bicknell's Thrushes and
others better crank out the young this summer, because 2012 will be a
challenging year, if squirrels track the cone crop.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies