Greetings, VTBIRDers:

Despite the end of migration, some delightful birding remains at and
around Highland Lodge in Greensboro. Male songbirds are sitting up and
singing on territory, offering some of the best looks of the year. I'm
back from my annual Warbler Weekend trips, with 16 warbler species,
including full-frontal, walkaway looks at Mourning Warblers, Canada
Warblers (more abundant than usual this year), many Blackburnian
Warblers and other northerners such as Lincoln's Sparrow. A full species
list from Warbler Weekend -- including digi-scoped photos of a singing
Winter Wren, various warblers and other songbirds -- is at:
http://www.vermontbirdtours.com/tripreports/warblerweekend2011.html

By the way, I still have a few shots left in my DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY
WORKSHOPS this coming weekend in Plainfield. If I have enough birders
enrolled, we'll cover digi-scoping in class. Most any of us can indeed
capture wonderful bird images with our little point-and-shoot cameras;
I'm doing little more than hand-holding mine up to the lens of my
spotting scope. Here are details on the workshops:
http://www.wingsphotography.com/photoworkshops.html

Finally, also noteworthy from Greensboro was the continued absence of
Boreal Chickadee from Barr Hill Nature Preserve. My last sighting of
this species there was May 25, 2008, despite at least one visit per year
since then. It's quite likely that this isolated population of Boreal
Chickadees has blinked out for good. It's sad to see them go.

Best,
Bryan Pfeiffer

Vermont Bird Tours
PO Box 121