Thanks Joyce----Wonderful story-----Kestrels need all the help we can give them--

Russ Kruetzman
Andover

-----Original Message-----
From: Joyce MacNair <[log in to unmask]>
To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Jun 29, 2011 5:29 pm
Subject: [VTBIRD] Kestrel story

I thought you all might be interested in hearing this birding story because it
eemed so unlikely to happen.

We have a friend here in Randolph, Brian Lowe, who owns and maintains about 25
estrel breeding boxes.  This is a lot of work for him but he is intensely
nterested in Kestrels and birding in general.  We always consult him when we
re in doubt about identifying birds we have seen or heard.  We are also in awe
f the amount of effort he puts into making sure the young Kestrels are
omfortable.  Additionally, he makes a yearly record of the number of fledges,
tc.  He really does not have much time for emailing so we decided to tell his
tory.

On Monday he was checking some of his boxes to see if how many fledglings they
eld.  Much to his surprise, in one of his boxes there were three nestlings, ten
ays old.  (He can tell that from feather development).  The amazing thing was
hat one of the nestlings was eating a snake, whole.  The head was down it's
hroat, who knows how far, and it was trying to get the rest of it down.  It was
 small to medium size garter snake and dead.  Of course the decision was shall
rian try to pull it out or let it be.

Brian decided to let nature take its course and stop back it a couple of days to
ee what happened.  We'll let you know.

TomandJoy