Agreed on everything Greg said. I'll just add this: shooting directly into the sun is very tricky. I love doing it, and it can produce some great photos, but it's difficult to avoid the problems of lens flare/dark subjects/blown out highlights like this. It's especially relevant to skiers since we're so often on north slopes, looking uphill directly into the sun.

There are a few things you can do at the time of the photo to try to avoid the necessity for software fixes later, if your camera allows for this. First, use spot metering instead of whole-frame metering to try to get the camera to set its exposure for the subject (which is backlit) instead of the background. Second, a lens hood will help reduce the flare. If the camera or lens doesn't have a lens hood, you can improvise out of cardboard or anything that happens to be around, or even your hand. Third, fill flash can produce some very dramatic shots in bright sunlight. It's just a way of shining light on the face of your subject to compete with the sun that's behind the subject. Finally, you can take the complete opposite approach, and instead of trying to illuminate your subject, you can go for a dramatic silhouette.

Some of these may not be possible on all cameras, but if they are, it's worth experimenting with them. The great thing about digital photography is that once you have the camera, the cost of individual photos is minimal, so you can experiment in your backyard to figure out what works before you get on the mountain.

Dave G.

On 2011-06-03 07:51, Greg Petrics wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Well even with a camera phone one can focus on composition, and come away with good shots. Even if this shot was taken with a Canon 1Ds Mark III ($6700), and a several thousand dollar L lens, it would be tough to salvage it because of the lens flare.

As far as upgrading to expensive camera gear: You'll know when it's time to upgrade to more expensive gear when you start creating strong compositions, and make you say "gee I wish I had a sharper, higher resolution version of this shot."

In the meantime learning the artistic guidelines for composing pleasing photographs is free on the internet, and there's plenty of places to get free critique as well (honestly the TGR photo/video forum is a really great place to learn and get critique of what you share so long as you have thick skin)!

Honestly there's a few shots in your set that would already be making me say this. For example the flower shot was quite nice.

I guess my take away point is, don't think you need to invest heavily to get good photos. There's a lot you can do with a point and shoot, and A LOT you can do and learn to prep for an eventual SLR purchase with a point and shoot that shoots in full manual.

Greg