here's a quick example of 4 adjustment clicks...

http://www.cs.uvm.edu/%7Ejauerbac/pics/05-30-11/aaron_ski.jpg

http://www.backtotheearthgroup.com/photos/fix.jpg

Software won't really help so much as an understanding of what is wrong with the pictures.

The inherent problem is that the sun light angle is flaring your lens, and causing illusory brightness in your scene. The camera doesn't know this, and is trying to process the image with its built-in algos. Since the scene isn't real (the brightness is a function of the lens being flared, not the illumination of the scene) the camera is going to fail in trying to process the image.

As such, what you can do is apply the correct development scheme manually. You won't be able to make the picture Powder Magazine cover worthy no matter what without a stronger composition, but you can at least make it look decently lighted to share the experience with us.

So what's the problem with the image that is caused by the lens flare? Answer: the lens flare reduces the contrast of the scene, and also is providing an uneven burn/dodge pattern across the image. The camera tried to account for this by brightening the image. So things are all tweaked. This sorta problem to me means the shot is pretty Fd honestly... but you can at least correct one of the things... for example I'd focus on correcting the contrast.

With the contrast messed up by the lens flare, compounded with an improper development algo from the camera, the entire scene is contained in the top two thirds of the dynamic range of the scene. To correct this I'd drop the image a third of the dynamic range, which is about 1.3 stops of light. I'd then try to apply some contrast to the lower part of the range to try to eek out some detail of Aaron who's been mostly blacked out.

All of this is easier in RAW than in JPEG... but w/e... here's the result I got:

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/aaron_ski21.jpg

Compare to the original:

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/aaron_ski2.jpg

It's not great, but at least it's passable in this set of shots intended to convey the experience.