Hello Everyone - I've been asked to forward the RFP press release (see
below) for your information.  Thanks.

Susie Haughwout

Wilmington Town Clerk

P. O. Box 217

Wilmington, VT 05363

Ph: 802-464-5836

Fax: 802-464-1238

Email: [log in to unmask]

Town Website: www.wilmingtonvermont.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Town of Dover funding study of local impacts of Vermont education funding
system

Dover, VT -July 11, 2011 - The Town of Dover, Vermont has released a request
for proposals (RFP) for qualified consultants to evaluate the impacts of
Vermont's education funding system at the local level.  The Town on behalf
of itself, neighboring town Wilmington and, potentially, some other towns in
Windham County, is soliciting a consultant to look specifically at the
economic and demographic impacts on the area since the passing of  No. 60 of
the Acts of the 1997 Adj. Sess. (1998) and No. 68 of the Acts of the 2003
Adj. Sess. (2004).  These two laws significantly modified the education
funding system in the State of Vermont.   The RFP also asks the selected
consultant to evaluate whether the funding structure results in equal
educational opportunity for area students.

The study Dover is undertaking was spurred by a study being sponsored at the
State-level by the Vermont Joint Fiscal Office based upon the direction of
the Vermont General Assembly.  The State study will look at similar impacts
of education funding law across Vermont.   In addition to economic and
demographic impacts, the State study will also evaluate additional items
such as types of tax and revenues used to fund the education system, the
relationship between per-pupil spending and the total amount spent for each
community, and the extent to which spending is correlated to community
income wealth.

The local effort was generated out of concern that the State study may not
be able to analyze impacts of the education funding system at a local level
due to the averaging of large amounts of varying data collected from around
the State.   The Town of Dover lost 20% of its population during the most
recent census period and neighboring Wilmington now has 16% fewer residents
than it did ten years ago.  Linda Holland, Chair of the Dover Select Board
noted, "The Town of Dover and surrounding communities have long been
concerned about the impacts of Act 60 and Act 68 on our communities and the
ability of our businesses and home owners to afford to pay their property
taxes.  While we are encouraged by the State's effort to study the effects
of the education funding mechanism, we felt it important to simultaneously
take a closer look at the impacts at a truly local level."

The RFP for the study was released on July 8, 2011.  Responses are due on
August 9, 2011 and work is to be completed by the chosen consultant no later
than December 1, 2011.

For more information, please contact:

Laura Sibilia
Bill Colvin