From: Defending Dissent Foundation [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 5:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Celebrate July 4th - FOIA  Yourself!

  <http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5492/images/bannerheader-1.jpg>

Dear Jenefer,

On July 4th, we'll celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Freedom of Information
Act.  As I'm sure you know, FOIA is an essential tool for helping us find out
what our government is up to, and holding officials accountable.

But it only  works if we use it!

That's why DDF is encouraging activists to file FOIA requests about themselves
and the groups they are involved with.  You never know what you will uncover,
and every example of FBI abuse helps us make the case for stricter oversight,
tighter guidelines and stronger protections.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=b%2FwLWP9L6uLBxIMH%2BtG8WysOk6g5a0mW>

That's especially important right now, as the FBI is about to adopt new
guidelines
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QkYrNOKvXJQYQ%2BBdO83IpysOk6g5a0mW>
 granting its agents even more power to spy, pry and intimidate us.

That's right, the FBI is getting ready to take a giant step backward, right back
into the days of COINTELPRO and J. Edgar Hoover.

Help us shine the light on FBI abuses by filing your own FOIA request.  These
activists did:

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=aI6xthlakeU2FqQEvLETvnsoadlW04b3>

*    Scott Crow got 440 pages revealing that the FBI had spent 3 years tailing
him, digging through his trash, tracking his phone calls and trying to find ways
to harass him;
*    David Goodner <>  discovered that the FBI spent nine months spying on Iowa
peace groups. Hundreds of  pages of documents were released showing that the FBI
had surreptitiously photographed and videotaped activists, staked out their
homes and accessed their cell phone and motor vehicle records;

*    Brendan Dunn <>  filed a FOIA was shocked to discover that his friend and
fellow activist "John Jacob" was actually a military spy who had infiltrated the
local peace group;

And many of you remember that when Frank Wilkinson
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mByduuO1NDUeERtWeZcnFCsOk6g5a0mW>
 filed a FOIA request in 1986, he got 132,000 pages detailing FBI attempts to
"neutralize" the Defending Dissent Foundation (when our name was the National
Committee to Abolish HUAC).

These liberated files help us paint a picture for Congress of unacceptable FBI
misconduct.  They help us push back against the FBI's claim that they are so
busy fighting terrorism they don't have time to abuse the First Amendment.

Click here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UdF5Nzqslef1LoJUzmN1misOk6g5a0mW>
 to liberate your file today!  You'll find resources and instructions on how to
file a FOIA with the FBI, the CIA, the NSA...

I also need to ask you for your help... President Obama and a complicit Congress
are intent on restoring the FBI to its former self: a lawless agency free to spy
on Americans who dare to question government policies. But today, we?re looking
at COINTELPRO on steroids -- with thousands of agents are empowered to
investigate us, armed with incredibly powerful surveillance tools that would
make J. Edgar Hoover blush!

That?s why the Defending Dissent Foundation is more important  than ever, and
why we need your support.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YqiySpVz%2F22jK96uKcmfYSsOk6g5a0mW>
 Click here to make a contribution.

DDF has been leading the lobby effort
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0kZwMPJVEdO0GCgWHrwxLCsOk6g5a0mW>
 against extending FBI Director Mueller?s term. We?ve reminded Congress
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=EBCeynGgAQddLW9a2py7zisOk6g5a0mW>
 why the term limit was established (to prevent a popular director from
consolidating power), and that under Director Mueller?s leadership the FBI has
repeatedly overstepped its authority. This fight is not yet over, and we need
your support to win it!

DDF is working with allies to highlight the dangers of planned changes to the
FBI?s operational  guidelines, which lowers the bar to allow 14,000 FBI agents
to search through your trash, follow you, infiltrate your peace group or
otherwise invade your life without any suspicion of wrongdoing. Please visit our
website for more details about the new guidelines, and our work to rollback
these new authorities.

DDF supporters and staff made phone calls, sent emails and raised hell
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=igLLH%2Bg2ivOD72SPVQ%2B%2FUCsOk6g5a0mW>
 over the extension of the PATRIOT Act. We didn?t win this fight, but we did win
more votes against the  extension than we have in the past. We?ve made a
foundation upon which we can build. Of course it won?t happen overnight, and
we?ll need your help!

DDF?s FOIA Yourself! project provides activists with the tools to request their
files from the FBI and other federal agencies, as well as state and local
agencies. FOIA is an excellent tool to expose government abuses, but only if we
use it! If you are ready to ask for your file, click here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=sbdYrxx%2Bv2ZId74AavPGvSsOk6g5a0mW>
 and get started!

We?ve learned from the experiences of the past that speaking out, standing up
for our rights and standing together is a powerful antidote to repression. The
Defending Dissent Foundation is proud to be able to do that, and proud to count
you as part of our team. Thanks for all your support!

In Solidarity,
Sue
Sue Udry
Executive Director

Background:

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=isEcS%2BzzZZ1dLpYBex0VBCsOk6g5a0mW>
 Click here for more information about John Jacob's infiltration of the Olympia
Port Militarization Resistance

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3FYebH%2FR7d%2F9OU%2Fh4kQkZCsOk6g5a0mW>
 Click here for more  information about the FBI's infiltration of Iowa peace
groups.

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2F7jmtTRrH4FRkoRWyapJQisOk6g5a0mW>
 Click here for more information about the FBI investigation and attempts to
harass Scott Crow.

Click here to unsubscribe
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2B8hTnG8t5EHbXKQiPvP52ysOk6g5a0mW>

<http://www.salsalabs.com/?email> empowered by Salsa