NASA's next Mars rover, "Curiosity", will be fueled by 4.8 kilograms (10.56 pounds) of plutonium dioxide, and launched in Nov.  See more info at bottom.

Just imagine an accident upon launch that releases those highly toxic Pu as dust!

Call/write to the White House:
Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
FAX: 202-456-2461

Below is my letter submitted, in case you are more busy than me:

Maggie
I absolutely object to NASA'S reckless practice of using plutonium fuel in space missions.

The Mars Science Laboratory's rover, known as "Curiosity," will be fueled with 4.8 kilograms (10.56 pounds) of plutonium dioxide!

Accidents can and DO happen, and they always come as a surprise.  Just remember those killed in the Challenger mission.  Remember Fukushima, Chernobyl, or the "unforeseen" circumstances now unfolding in Los Alamos, and Nebraska.

A release of plutonium from an accident upon launch could be catastrophic to the entire planet.

Please permanently ban the use of any nuclear fuel in any space missions.

Sincerely,

Maggie Zhou, Ph.D
Boston, MA