Well, there's no way to know for sure whether or not you have an FBI file
unless you ask about it, so isn't the advice from this "activist lawyer"
rather silly? It assumes that the FBI starts a new file on anyone who files
an FOIA request, which may or may not be true but probably isn't. Nearly
every high profile activist comes under surveillance at one point or
another, although I know some people who have filed FOIA's, certain that
they are great threats to the state, only to find out that there is little
or nothing on file. Then they are sure that things are being withheld, of
course.

MB

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Maggie Zhou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> See the concern below that could be valid.

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith