Well, there's no way to know for sure whether or not you have an FBI file unless you ask about it, so isn't the advice from this "activist lawyer" rather silly? It assumes that the FBI starts a new file on anyone who files an FOIA request, which may or may not be true but probably isn't. Nearly every high profile activist comes under surveillance at one point or another, although I know some people who have filed FOIA's, certain that they are great threats to the state, only to find out that there is little or nothing on file. Then they are sure that things are being withheld, of course.

MB

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Maggie Zhou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
See the concern below that could be valid.

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: isisferal <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, July 2, 2011 5:58:24 AM
Subject: [EcoRev] Re: File FOIA requests about yourself, fight police state!

On the other hand.... I was told many years ago by an activist lawyer that if you don't already have an FBI file, asking if you have one is a pretty good way to assure that you will.

This is not an action to take lightly.

--- In [log in to unmask], Maggie Zhou <mzhou_us@...> wrote:

> The FBI and CIA keeps files on activists of all stripes, including environmental
> activists. They're treated much like terrorists, viewed as potential threat to
> security.
>
> While anyone can file a Freedom of Information request, and you do not need to
> be a U.S. citizen, the government may choose to refuse releasing part or all of
> the requested info on national security grounds. Still, that's a higher bar
> they'd have to go through. More info on how to do it here:
> http://www.defendingdissent.org/program/foia.htm

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith