http://rockcreekfreepress.tumblr.com/post/353434420/two-hit-three-down-the-biggest-lie

Two Hit, Three Down - The Biggest Lie

National Academy of Science member and Distinguished Professor endorses
David Ray Griffin's work exposing the truth of 9/11

By Lynn Margulis

I comment here on the nanotechnology aspect of
Jerry Mazza's masterful review (Rock Creek Free
Press, January 2010, page 6) of David Ray
Griffin's extraordinary 2009 book, The Mysterious
Collapse of World Trade Center 7: Why the Final
Official Report about 9/11 is Unscientific and False.

By the time we (Dorion Sagan -- my eldest son and
Sciencewriters partner -- and I) met David
Griffin [DRG] in 2003 in his native habitat at
the Center for Process Studies (which is on the
campus of the Claremont School of Theology in
southern California), he had written over two
dozen books, none of which I had ever read or
even heard of. We immensely enjoyed a three-day
scientific-philosophical meeting on the
Darwinian-evolutionary view of life that had been
organized by Griffin's sage mentor, the
sweet-tempered but razor sharp, Jimmy
Carter-sounding, octogenarian professor emeritus
and director, John B. Cobb, Jr. The results of
this fascinating meeting have since been published (Cobb, ed. 2008).

At that meeting, Griffin's talk was sober,
academic, competent, scholarly -- and entirely
new to me: Christian theology in a much broader
philosophical context than any to which I had
ever been exposed. The science-friendly
philosophical outlook Griffin espoused apparently
was developed by Alfred North Whitehead
(1861-1947), the English
mathematician-philosopher who became a Harvard
professor, or by Cobb. Why would I have known
anything about this theological-philosophical
work? My own expertise after all is in protoctist
and organellar genetics. With close colleagues I
reconstruct the origin and evolution of nucleated
cells in the Proterozoic Eon. Where I understood
DRG's talk at all, he made clear to me his
honesty. Truth, especially
scientifically/empirically established truth,
seemed intrinsic to his Christianity. As a
typical agnostic scientist overtly critical of
organized, and even disorganized, religion, I was
surprised by the scientific commitment to
approaching empirical truth in a religious
context rather than the usual authority-pleasing consensus.

Griffin went on to elaborate that, although as a
Whiteheadian he embraces the methods and results
of science, he is critical of the entire
international scientific enterprise as generally
practiced today. Not only do scientists
extrapolate their intrinsically specialized
empirical knowledge into intellectual territory
where it does not belong, but they don't heed
Whitehead's recognition that, after all,
scientists -- like all people -- have an
emotional life and an inner spirit. The acclaimed
"objectivity of science," on close scholarly
inspection (by, say, Cobb, Griffin and other
Whiteheadians), often translates into tribalism,
jingoism, naivetÚ, denial of obvious truths,
uncritical service to The State, and other forms
of profoundly dangerous ignorance. Scientists, as
do all groups of people, share unstated
philosophical assumptions. For example, they not
only have faith in the consistency and
"knowability" of the real world, but they often
assume that the concrete particulars of the world
are adequately described by the abstractions that
have proved useful for limited purposes in their
own disciplines -- an assumption that Whitehead
called the "fallacy of misplaced concreteness."

On the return trip east from this meeting, I
read, non-stop, DRG's seminal book on 9/11, The
New Pearl Harbor. Since then I have watched the
"aging theologian" (his self-description as
quipped in the excellent video-graphed lecture
"9/11 and Nationalist Faith" (or was it 9/11:
Let's Get Empirical? Both are highly recommended)
metamorphose from a compelling, careful scholar
to a brave and extraordinary orator (but still
careful scholar). Griffin has become a superb
politician with a single agenda item: We must
re-open public inquiry into the events of
September 11, 2001, especially the collapse of the World Trade Center.

I had personal reasons to be interested in this
issue: I had watched a member of our Geosciences
Department (University of Massachusetts-Amherst)
realize that morning that his beloved brother was
on the doomed Boston-to-LA "hijacked plane." Two
of my sons and both of their mates were on
Manhattan Island on 9/11. My grandson, Tonio
Sagan, the Problemaddicts hiphop lyricist and
leader, was released from his Springfield
probationary status to me that evening. Like
everyone else close to the action, my global
consciousness was instantly and permanently
altered on that date. But I happily remained an
academic evolutionist. So, I ask here, what
happened to the "aging theologian" to cause such
a radical shift in his personal and professional
life: from ivory tower scholar expert in theology
and philosophy to detective, orator, and political activist?

I will not try to answer this question, but will
simply state: Griffin has become a scientist, in
my view, and even more a science educator. He has
undertaken the search for the solution to a
relatively trivial scientific problem and has
found it in the literature and through
discussions with experts. Along with solving the
scientific problem, however, he has burdened his
life with a colossal science-education problem.

In spite of his authorship of eight excellent
books on the subject, he is not winning the
education skirmish. This is not surprising,
because science education battles -- I can tell
you this from chronic painful experience -- are
far more intrinsically difficult to win than
those of mere science. I illustrate this point
with regard to the destruction of the World Trade Center.

The scientific problem:

Why did three World Trade Center buildings (#1,#2
and #7) collapse on 9/11, after two (and only
two) of them were hit by "hijacked airplanes"?

The scientific answer:

Because all three buildings were destroyed by
carefully planned, orchestrated and executed
controlled demolition. Ignited by incendiaries
(such as thermate) and high explosives (including
nanothermite), the steel columns were selectively
melted in a brilliantly-timed controlled
demolition. Two 110-story buildings (towers 1&2),
plus one 47-floor building (WTC 7), were induced
to collapse at gravitationally accelerated rates
in an operation planned and carried out by
insiders. The apparent hijacking of airliners and
the crashing of them into the Twin Towers were
intrinsic parts of the operation, which together
provided a basis for claiming that the buildings
were brought down by Muslim terrorists. The
buildings' steel columns, which would have
provided irrefutable physical evidence of the use
of explosives, were quickly removed from the scene of the crime.

Impeccable logic and addiction to reading inspire
this truth-seeker. With his practiced scientific
mind (he has organized professional
philosophy-of-science conferences and published
several books on this theme) coupled with
investigation of evidence from not only us
scientists but from witnesses, documentary
film-makers, scholars, architects and engineers
et al., he concludes that the virtual free-fall
collapse of the three (not two) World Trade
Center buildings in 2001 was a premeditated,
exquisitely executed operation. He recognized
this "tragic publicity stunt" (my claim) was
likely intended to provide the "new Pearl Harbor"
desired by radical neoconservatives, some of whom
had become members of the Bush administration
(see Ch. 6 of Griffin's 2006 book, Christian Faith and the Truth behind 9/11).

The far-more-difficult science-education problem:

The persistent problem is how to wake up public
awareness, especially in the global
scientifically literate public, of the
overwhelming evidence that the three buildings
collapsed by controlled demolition. (Much has
been published in peer-reviewed scientific
journals, see Ch. 4 of The Mysterious Collapse).
We, on the basis of hard evidence, must conclude
that the petroleum fires related to the aircraft
crashes were irrelevant (except perhaps as a
cover story).We citizens of Earth within and
beyond the boundaries of the United States who
demand detailed evidence for extraordinary claims
agree with Griffin: the rapid destruction of New
York skyscrapers on September 11, 2001 was
planned and executed by people inside the US government.

Griffin's eight books about 9/11 (listed below)
are his call to his kind of truly patriotic
action. They show in appropriate detail,
accurately documented, that the official
government conspiracy theory can not be correct
journalistically, scientifically, and morally.
Muslim airline hijackers, in short, never
triggered the collapse of high-rise steel-framed
buildings at gravitational acceleration into neat
removable pieces. They didn't remove the
remaining steel girders before they could be
studied as evidence for a huge crime. They were
not described in telephone calls by passengers
and crew members from the four airliners -- all
the evidence for al Qaeda hijackers on the planes
dissipates under close inspection (for example,
even the FBI now admits that the reported cell
phone calls from 25,000 to 40,000 feet never happened).

And to me the most compelling and obviously
incorrect accusation is that Muslim hijackers
caused the pulverization of cement high-rise
office buildings into tons of dust that contain
crystalline thermate and other minute metallic
particles not found in the usual charred remains
of fire rubble. Minute iron-aluminum-molybdenum
rich spheres, steel perforated with swiss-cheese
type holes and large quantities of unreacted
nanothermite are not components of petroleum
office fires. Besides the fact that building fire
temperatures, even if fed by jet-fuel, could not
have risen beyond 1,800░F, and hence they would
be nowhere close to the of 2,800░F needed to melt
iron (or for molybdenum that melts at 4,753░F).
The facile appeal to the presence of gypsum
(calcium sulfate) in the office wall-board fails
to explain why sulfur was found in the
intergranular structure of pieces of steel.
(There was no detection of calcium!) The New York
Times, in a rare example of honest reporting
about the WTC collapses, called this "the deepest
mystery uncovered in the investigation").

Nor could "Muslim terrorists" have accessed and
then planted in these buildings huge quantities
of nanothermite. This recently developed high
explosive was developed mainly in secrecy by
professional scientists and engineers who enjoy
government grant support for "nanotechnology" by
the military. Significant quantities of red-gray
crystals of nanothermite have been found in
several independently collected samples of WTC
dust studied by a team headed by physicist Steven
Jones, formerly of Brigham Young University.
Niels Harrit, a University of Copenhagen
professor of chemistry who specializes in
nanochemistry, is the first author of a
peer-reviewed paper reporting this team's results.

The two mutually exclusive "9/11-conspiracy
theories", the patently and nefariously absurd
tale our government imposes on us and the true,
criminal story yet to be entirely brought to
light, deserve the attention of all literate
people. Remember: Only two airplanes struck, but
three buildings collapsed at free-fall velocities
on that same day. Begin with Mazza's review and
Griffin's book that detail the nanothermite
scientific studies. Examine the government's
reluctant late admission that WTC 7 came down in
absolute free fall for over two seconds to
realize this is a scientific impossibility unless
all the steel columns were partitioned into neat,
removable pieces by explosives. Find out what
happened to two men, Hess and Jennings, trapped
inside WT7 in its abortive explosion before noon.
Truth here, as David Ray Griffin tries to tell
it, is (at least to me) stranger and far more
dramatic than even the best fiction.

Suggested sources of evidence and explanation:
John B. Cobb, Jr. 2008 Back to Darwin: A richer
account of evolution, Erdmann Publishers
Michael Ruppert 2009 Collapse: Peak oil, global
politics, depletion of world resources and the
end of "civilization" Chelsea Green Publishing Co. White River Junction VT
Lecutre by D.R. Griffin and M. Ruppert on DVDs.
DRG:
1. The New Pearl Harbor: Disturbing Questions
about the Bush Administration and 9/11 (2004)
2. The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions and Distortions (2005)
3. Christian Faith and the Truth Behind 9/11: A
Call to Reflection and Action (2006)
4. 9/11 and the American Empire: Intellectuals
Speak Out (2006, co-edited with Peter Dale Scott)
5. Debunking 9/11 Debunking: An Answer to Popular
Mechanics and Other Defenders of the Official Conspiracy Theory (2007)
6. 9/11 Contradictions: An Open Letter to Congress and the Press (2008)
7. The New Pearl Harbor Revisited: 9/11, the Cover-Up, and the ExposÚ (2008).
8. The Mysterious Collapse of World Trade Center
7: Why the Final Official Report about 9/11 Is Unscientific and False (2009)

Lynn Margulis is a professor of Biology in the
GeoSciences Dept. at UMASS-Amherst and author of
numerous (and seminal) writings on Symbiosis,
EndoSymbiotic theory, and anti-neo-Darwinian evolution theory.

http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Ring the bells that still can ring,  Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen