On July 4 I birded into and around the bog.  Several Palm Warblers
were spotted around the bog perimeter and were still singing.  One
juvenile Palm was also seen.  No luck finding Spruce Grouse, Gray Jay,
Boreal Chickadee or Lincoln's Sparrow.  Not getting the latter was
particularly disappointing, as they seem to be reliable there in most
years at least.  But then again I was rewarded with a male
Black-backed Woodpecker.

In the afternoon Victory Basin Trail was checked.  Relatively quiet
with exception of Nashville, Magnolia, Canada warblers, Northern
Waterthrush, and Common Yellowthroats.

Deerflies were almost intolerable and seem to thrive on DEET.

--
Kenneth Cox
South Reading, VT