This morning there were 5 young Tree Swallows perched in a row on a wire
over Mirror Lake Rd on the south end of Berlin Pond. Several more were
flying around. A 6th bird landed next to the youngster on one end, with food
in it's mouth. The adult looked at the youngster, but did not move. The
youngster turned it's head toward the adult, begged a little, but did not
cross the 1 ft span between them. At this point I got my binocs on them only
to realize that the adult was a Kingbird! Hard to believe how similar they
looked at this time of year: white bellies, gray brown backs, size, and
posture. The Kingbird was not swayed by the begging of the young swallow,
and eventually flew down to her nearby nest of babies.

It reminded me of the children's story, *Are You My Mother?*

Happy summer,
Patti Haynes
Moretown