Is there any possibility of seeing a Red-Necked Grebe (two, actually)
at this time of year? At 6:30 this evening, in the lake right near
the road between St. Albans Bay Park and Hathaway Road (the turn-off
to Kill Kare State Park), there were two diving birds that, at first
glance, looked like loons. However, they were considerably smaller
than loons. They had loon-like bills, were mostly gray, with paler
gray or white at the throat and cheek. Unfortunately, there was a LOT
of traffic. I stopped the car for a minute or so and looked through
binoculars but then had to get moving or we would have caused an
accident. I wanted to turn around, go back, park at the little pull-
off next to the swamp, and then walk back to the mystery birds - but
the pull-off was full with fishermen's cars. If anyone lives in that
area, I'd love it if you'd check out the birds.

Thanks!

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center