I had the same thing with a red squirrel who used to hang upside down by
his heels and suck all the sugar water out of the feeder.  I switched to
one of those feeders you can stick to the window with suction cups,
which solved the squirrel problem but created a terrible ant problem.
I've now got the feeder hanging precariously from a tall thin bamboo
pole about a foot from the window with one of those ant-guard thingies
above it, and that seems to have taken care of both ants and squirrels.

I have one of these big saucer-shaped baffles for the seed feeder
hanging from a tree branch, and it works fabulously.  If the feeder is
hung close up against it, neither the gray nor red squirrels can get to
it around the baffle (though it's fun watching them try a few times
before they give up).

http://www.backyardwildbirds.com/servlet/the-25/Metal-Hanging-Squirrel-baffle,/Detail

or http://tinyurl.com/3eknnt9

Jane