There has been a Yellow-billed Cuckoo calling for most of the day here
near the house nearly every day since July 2nd (and once earlier on June
6th).  It moves around rather continuously.  Every few days, including
today, there is also the call of a Black-billed Cuckoo.

With the abundance of observations statewide, I thought I'd compare the
last few years.

Using the data in eBird, the last year with as many Yellow-billed
Cuckoos was 2007.  In the list below, the first number following each
year is the number of Vermont locations reporting a Yellow-billed Cuckoo
for all of that year (for 2011 is the number so far this year).  The
second number is based on the eBird statistic "total" which is the
number of birds reported per week, whether from the same location or not
.... I created the second number by totaling the number of birds
reported each year through July 15th so it would directly compare with
this year.

2011   18    22
2010     7      4
2009     4      3
2008     8      8
2007    15   18

So 2007 and 2011 seem to be banner years for Yellow-billed Cuckoos in
the last five years, with 2009 being the year with the fewest birds and
least widespread sightings.

Ian