I have had numerous requests about finding the Merlins.  Here are my suggestions...

Directions:
Use "28 Terrace Street; Montpelier, VT" on Google and it will send you close enough to find the old Secretary of State's  Office (now moved) also called the Redstone Mansion.  There is a big parking lot there where you can park and find shade!  The building is empty.
The birds frequent the large spruce/pine forest there and tend to roost in the very tops of the conifers there and in the neighborhood bordered by Terrace Street/Redstone/Dewey and Bailey Ave.  If you come and spend 5 minutes you are likely going to miss them.  Usually I hear them at least once an hour, sometimes every 5 minutes when I am home.
They are more active late in the day and early but I hear them all day long as well.  When an adult brings in prey you can hear the food begging 1/4 mile away; lots of noise.  The food begging call is very much like the Peregrine's except that it is higher in pitch.  Last night the last hour or so before dark all of them were in the air frequently and there was frequent food begging calls, chasing and food exchanges.
Good luck!

Jeffrey Allen